Carbon Monoxide Safety During the Winter

November 12, 2019

Blog

Winter is among us. During these cold months we tend to utilize our heat a lot more than other months. Because of this, we urge everyone to be cautious and remember to maintain their carbon monoxide alarm.

 

Utah Poison Control Center reports that “Carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning is responsible for more than 50,000 emergency department visits1 resulting in more than 400 deaths according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.”

What’s even worse is that Americans aged 65 and older are the most susceptible to CO poisoning.

 

In order to avoid these tragedies, we must educate ourselves on the different ways we can prevent and recognize Carbon Monoxide.

 

Prevention Tips

 

  • Ensure your heating system, water heater, and any other appliances are well maintained and serviced each year by a technician.
  • Remember to avoid having any running cars/trucks running in your garage that’s attached to your home, even if you leave the door open!
  • Do NOT heat your home utilizing a gas oven
  • If your CO monitor consistently makes noises, move to fresh air and call 911 immediately! If the alarms’ chirping is only intermittent, simply change the batteries.
  • Keep generators at least 50 feet from your home
  • If heavy snowfall occurs, ensure you check for blockage around fresh-air intake, vents, exhaust stacks, and vents
  • Ensure each level of your home has a CO monitor installed
  • Do not utilize a charcoal or gasoline burning device in your home

 

 

 

Symptoms of CO Poisoning

 

Anyone can experience CO poisoning. However, infants, unborn babies, and elderly individuals are especially at risk. If you notice any of these symptoms, get to fresh air and then seek medical attention immediately.

 

Symptoms can include, but not limited to:

  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Fatigue
  • Headaches that are severe and persistent (Usually affects more than 1 individual in the house)
  • Dizziness (Usually affects more than 1 individual in the house)

 

If you or multiple people in your household experience these symptoms, seek medical attention immediately after moving to fresh air. You can also call the poison control center at 1-800-222- 1222. We want you to be safe this winter when warming your home. The safety of you and your loved ones are crucial to us.


Join the Discussion